1) Next week is the season premiere of Reverie. It follows an ex-hostage negotiator and expert on human behavior who gets recruited by her former boss to save people who have lost themselves in a virtual reality program in which you can literally live your dreams.
2) Krypton has been renewed for a second season. Not surprising since it’s Syfy’s most-watched debut for an original series since 2014 and its most-watched season for any scripted series since Defiance in 2015.
3) David Tennant and Catherine Tate are back together. My favorite doctor and companion will star in the dramedy Americons, being developed by Sky One. The show is written by Tate and being produced by Bad Wolf. All we know is that the show follows them as they move to the United States.
4) Matt Groening is back at it. Netflix has announced that his new animated fantasy series Disenchantment will drop on August 17th. Because it’s on Netflix, it’s definitely going to take advantage of adult-oriented humor, especially with stars like Abbi Jacobson, Eric Andre and Nat Faxon.
5) We’ve learned a little more about HBO’s Watchman TV series. Damon Lindelof has stated that the show will not be a direct adaptation of Alan Moore’s graphic novel, but will take place in the modern day, 35 years after the events in the book and the 2009 film. Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Adelaide Clemens and Andrew Howard will all be in the pilot episode. All of the characters are new for the show. So it sounds like HBO is dealing with a third generation of American superheros.
6) We’re going to be talking about the Arrowverse in depth this episode, but we’ve learned that Supergirl will be casting a transgender character for the next season. Based on the casting notice, she’ll be joining the investigative reporting team and it sounds like she might be taking over the Catco newsroom.
7) For all you Deadpool fans out there, some good news. Ryan Reynolds and the Deadpool writers are making a Netflix movie. Six Underground, written by Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese, will Star Reynolds and be directed by Michael Bay. All we really know about it is that it’s about six billionaires who fake their own deaths and form an elite team to take down bad guys.
8) Apparently, Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play Mysterio in the Spider-Man Homecoming sequel.
9) For those of you who didn’t know, Kim Possible is being turned into a live action movie and it was just announced that Alyson Hannigan and Connie Ray have joined the cast. Hannigan will be playing Kim’s mom, also known as Mom Possible, and Ray will play Nana Possible.
10) George R. R. Martin’s fantasy children’s book The Ice Dragon is going to be an animated movie produced by Warner Brothers. Released in 1980, this was the first fantasy story Martin wrote and he’s attached to be a producer and might even be involved in writing the screenplay.
11) We have more casting news for John Wick: Chapter 3. Halle Berry, Angelica Huston, Asia Kate Dillon, Mark Dascascos, Jason Mantzoukas, Tiger Hu Chen, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman will all be in the film which will be released May 17th of next year.
12) We all know that Solo: A Star Wars Story opened this weekend, and it sounds like Boba Fett will finally be getting his own standalone movie. James Mangold, who directed and co-wrote Logan, is reported to be directing the film and will also co-write it with Simon Kinberg. Rumor also has it that an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie is also in development, with Stephen Daldry, director of BIlly Elliot, in talks to direct. Rian Johnson is also apparently working on three Star Wars movies featuring new characters.
13) The movie Upgrade opens next week. It’s set in the near-future, where technology controls nearly all aspects of life. A guy named Grey Trace, a self-identified technophobe, has an experimental AI computer chip called Stem, implanted, in order to seek revenge against the people who murdered his wife and paralyzed him. It got a really good response at SXSW.